How to measure bra size? It is a question you might ask yourself if you’re not happy with your bra at the moment. Maybe the bra is not comfortable anymore or has never been anyway.
If you have any doubts it might be time (again) to check your band size and your cup size.
How to measure bra size
Step 1 Measure your band size
- put the tape measure around your underbust
- write down the inches or centimeters
Step 2 Measure your cup size
- put the measuring tape around the fullest part of your breasts
- don’t pull too tight
- write down the inches or centimeters
The next step is to look for a bra size chart and find your best bra size.
How to measure bra size. Be precise
Measuring should be done precisely.
It may well be the case you’re in between two sizes. And that’s normal for a lot of women.
Some of us may have two or three different bra sizes in their lingerie drawer. And all these bras may fit us just fine.
A little difference in centimeters/inches can make a BIG difference. It could mean you might try a different band size and cup size.
If you are measured just in between two sizes you might fit different bra sizes. And they all fit you just fine. So that’s different sizes for the same woman!
- it’s normal that you might fit more than one bra size, and both sizes fit you just fine
- it is also a matter of personal preferences when choosing your bra size
- some women really dislike a tight band of the bra and tend to choose a looser band
- it is a thing of trial and error
- you might have 1 best bra size
- you might have 2 or maybe 3 sizes that fit you fine, depending on the model and brand of the bra
Band size of bra explained
Your bra size exists of two measurements. The band size of your bra is the result of measuring your underbust.
- What band sizes can I choose from?
- How to determine my band size?
- What is my bra size? Read the full post about your bra band size »
Bra band size too small?
Can I just change my bra band size?
Well yes, if you feel your bra band size is too small you could easily go up a band size. What you should realize however is the fact that going up a band size will change your cup volume as well.
- How does bra band sizing work?
- What if I go up a band size and want to keep the same cup volume?
- What if I go up a band size and want a different cup volume as well? Read the full post about a bra band being too small »
Shouldn’t I go to a lingerie store instead?
Of course, you can go to a lingerie store if you feel better about it. In most stores, they should be able to give you good advice. But I’ve seen women with a bad-fitted bra just coming from a store as well.
At home, you can take all the time you need. And you can check your sizes in the right bra size chart (one that includes either all small or either all large sizes).
Most women have to measure their sizes many times in their life. Our bodies may change in our lifetimes. Think of
- the weight that you gain
- the weight that you lose
- hormonal changes
More than 60 percent of women wear the wrong bra size
I believe in a well-fitted bra for every woman.
Of course, I do. I’m a woman and want a nice bra. And I want it to feel good on my body. As simple as that. I think most of us women want that.
But for many women, it is not the case. They wear the wrong bra size. A bra that is not well fitted will not feel comfortable and will surely not make your self-esteem grow. I myself have been wearing wrong sized bras for many years. Too many years.
How come we end up wearing the wrong bra
I always wore bras but were never really happy with them. Only when I started learning about bras and bra sizing it changed.
At the time I had an online lingerie shop. Of course, I had to give my customers the best advice when they questioned me about choosing the right bra size.
I started measuring myself and other women to test my bra size chart.
I personally have three different bra sizes in my lingerie drawer, and they all fit me fine. Because I’m in between to band sizes I choose a different band size sometimes. In this case, I go up or down a cup size to keep the same cup volume.
For example. If you wear a 44D and want the band a bit tighter on a model you try, but want the same cup size. You choose 42DD in other to keep the same cup volume.
Didn’t I know that I was wearing the wrong bra size all those years?
Well yes. At least I felt it. The bra was there but was not making the most of my breasts.
But it must be so very human to stick to something (like the wrong bra) that no longer fits you. Or never fitted you anyway.
I know at the time I was thinking ‘this must be the best there is for me’. Not taking real time to get into the matter.
Bra sister sizes do I have one?
- Most women can wear different bra sizes and they all fit them well. So that’s different sizes for the same woman!
- Knowing about bra sisters sizes will make shopping bras more fun. You know what sizes to look for. And depending on the brand and bra style you may wanna choose a different bra size than you usually wear. Read the full post about bra sister sizing »
Why every woman deserves a well-fitted bra
Because we do.
Whether your breasts are petite, medium or plus size. Every woman should and can wear the right bra.
A well-fitted bra is comfortable for your body and breasts. The bra gives you confidence. Your clothes look better and you feel more womanly. And that goes for all sizes!
Bra size changes during life
A woman’s body may change during life through several causes. If your body changes, it will often change the size or form of your breasts.
- What are the causes that may change the size of our breasts?
- How will you know when you need a different bra size?
- How precise should you measure your band size and your bust size? Read the full post about the change of your bra size during life»
Start measuring today
My advice? If your not happy at this moment with your bra?
Take a little bit of your time and learn about bra sizing. Learn about your own sizes.
And learn about sister sizes. Many women own different sizes of bras. And they all fit them well. Depending on the model or brand you may just need a different bra size sometime.
Washing bras by hand, why should you?
Likely you are or have been, tempted to use the washing machine once in a while (I did). Instead of what lingerie experts will advise us on this.
- Why a regular handwash will lengthen the life of your bra
- How often should you handwash a bra?
- How to wash your bras by hand? Read the full post why & how to handwash your bras »
Bra size chart
A bra size chart can vary from shop to shop. There can be little differences because of the cup sizes they carry. Also, there are sometimes small differences between the
Mind you. The most support of your bra comes from the band. So this must feel a bit firm, but always comfortable.
There really is only one way to find out what your best bra size is.
- measure your cup size and band size
- check your sizes in a size table
- dare to try different sizes, especially if you know or think you’re in between two sizes
- measure again
- and again…
- confidence in measuring yourself will grow when doing it like 3 to 5 times in a row
Check your bra size now!
Bra size calculator AAA - C cups »
Bra size calculator D+ cups »
⭐ Bluebella band 30 - 40 | cup AA - G Shop now
⭐ Hunkemöller band 28 - 44 | cup AA - H Shop now
⭐ MaxCleavage Gel bras & bikinis Shop now
⭐ Amazon uk band 28 - 54 | cup AA - J Shop now