What’s the difference between an A cup and B cup? How much do these bra cup sizes really differ?
My articles contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure at the bottom of the page.
Triumph Women’s Everyday Bra | AA-B cups See collection at Amazon.co.uk
Is B cup bigger than A cup?
You cannot just compare cup sizes, saying cup B is bigger than A cup. Why?
A cup vs B cup
The bras 36B and 38B do not have the same cup volume.
Check your size in my bra calculator
of visit M&S for advise and size chart
For example, maybe your cup size is fine, but you want a larger band of your bra.
This could mean you would go from 34B to 36A. The 36A bra has the same cup volume as the bra 34B.
Actually, the cups AAA, AA, and A can be very close together. Read more about the 3 smallest bra cups AAA, AA and A.
What happens to my cup if I change bra band size?
This happens when you go down a band size
For example, you wear the 85B bra size.
You want to go down a band size because you’ve lost some weight. The cups do fit your breasts still nicely.
Shop StellaMcCartney »
knitwear | lingerie | handbags | shoes
- you try 80B and notice the cups are too small
- to keep the same cup volume you should try the bra 80C
This happens when you go up a band size
For example, you wear the 70B bra size.
You want to go up a band size because you’ve
- you try 75B and find this bra is well-fitted (when going up a band size, so will your cup size). Maybe you should try a 75C as well.
Delimira Women’s Lightly Lined Underwire Molded Silicon Convertible Strapless Bra AA-D cups See details at Amazon.co.uk
How will I know my best cup size?
When I measure women and tell some of them they really should wear another bra size they usually are not surprised. How come?
They knew already their bra wasn’t right.
And that’s how it works, doesn’t it? A bad-fitted bra is with you all day and the occasional night. It is NOT a nice feeling having to pull your bra straight again and again.
My advice is to measure your underbust and bust size. Write the measurements down. If you have a bra fitting that’s fine, but I also suggest you write down your measurements.
Why you should know your bra sizes?
- Knowing your own sizes will teach you to find your best bra size in a bra size chart or a calculator.
- You may find it hard to decide on your bra size because you feel you might fit 2 possible sizes. That’s fine. Try both sizes.
- Different brands may have a different fit. Many women have different bra sizes in their drawer and all of the sizes fit them just fine.
- Many women wear a cup size that is too big on them. Read more about the average bra size and why I think researches miss out on something.
A lot of women do fit more than one bra size, especially if you’re just in between two possible band sizes. Read the full post about ‘Bra sister sizing’ here »